What To Expect on Your First Visit
A Warm Welcome to a Tough Decision
Making the decision to choose lap-band, gastric bypass or gastric sleeve or the other weight loss surgery option is not an easy one and often times is the culmination of several months to years of research and contemplation. Backed by years of experience exclusively in weight loss surgery, no one else understands that better than we do and so the proper welcome, support and guidance are tasks we focus on. Rest assured we hope to provide you with excellent customer service. Our goal at the end of your first visit is for you to have a complete understanding of your options, expected results, process and timeline for the procedure, insurance and financial information you need so that you are able to make an informed choice on the procedure that best suits your needs and desires.
- You will be greeted by our front office staff upon your arrival in a courteous manner. They will attend to any immediate needs such as water and location of restroom. You will be seated in our spacious and comfortable waiting room.
- You will be registered into our practice. Your copay and other applicable charges are collected and a receipt is given to you. Hopefully you have already completed the required paperwork at home. There may be a few forms including privacy notice, financial policy that you will need to read and sign.
- The patient coordinator then will take you into our treatment area. Your height, weight and other vital signs are recorded in your chart. Then you will be seated in our professional consultation room. One or two members of your family may be with you inside the consultation room. Generally it is not desirable to bring children under 8 years of age to the first consultation because you may not be able to give your full attention to the consultation process.
- You may have an opportunity to view an informational video on Bariatric Surgery. Then Dr. Ganta will greet you in the consultation room. He will discuss with you your medical history, weight loss history, your goals and desires and discuss the procedure options that may be appropriate for you and answer all your questions. The consultation process generally lasts 60 – 90 minutes.
- Our insurance coordinator will then review your health insurance policy guidelines for bariatric surgery, estimated cost, financing options if desired with you in detail. Once you feel comfortable with the process our coordinator will schedule your next steps towards your procedure.
- You will then be guided to the checkout desk. Any follow up appointments, referrals to other specialists are made. You will receive a document of requirements to fulfill prior to your surgery date as general guide. AIBL will work with you to accomplish all these requirements. These include medical testing and specialist evaluations.
Please expect to spend approximately 2 hours in our office on your first visit. Completing the paperwork ahead of your visit at home makes the process go much smoother. Dr. Ganta will spend as much time as needed with each patient and therefore while we try hard to keep all appointments on time it is not always possible. But be sure that you will be able to spend as much time as you need with Dr. Ganta to get all of your questions answered.
Information you will obtain
You will receive appropriate information about the procedure you are considering. This information may be verbal, in an electronic format via email or a web-link and will have necessary information about the procedure, risks and complications, pre-procedure testing, insurance information, timeline, preoperative appointments, detailed guidelines for nutrition, fitness, lifestyle changes, psychological well being as well your hospital stay and our exclusive aftercare programs. You may also receive a user name and password for AIBL online applications including patient portal.